Ditmas Avenue is the most northern station stop on the Culver Line's elevated. Just north of the station the four tracks of the IND Culver Line Subway rise-up through the surface to reach the el. There are various switches just north of the station where the middle unused express tracks have switches onto both the local track and with the line's middle track, to become the unused center express track that runs in the middle of the Culver Line's el, that is above McDonald Avenue for its entire length.
The station also has the remains of what was once the Culver Shuttle. Before the portal connection was built to the IND at Church Avenue that opened October 30, 1954 it was the northern end of the BMT Culver Line, with through operations to the 4th Avenue Subway (and previously the long-abandoned 5th Avenue elevated). From 1954 to 12:01am on May 11th, 1975 this short section of line that ran from Ditmas Avenue to the abandoned lower level at 9th Avenue with two intermediate stations (13th Avenue & Fort Hamilton Parkway) was a simple single-opened track shuttle service (the line before the IND had the tree tracks continue). There are still some visible remains of the Culver Shuttle within the station. These really can be only viewed from street level. What was once the former trackway of the shuttle's terminal track that terminated alongside the Coney Island-bond platform, giving it the feel of an island platform, structural steel is visible. These steel remains continues just north of the station where what looks like the structural steel ghosts of what were once two tracks continue a very short distance beyond the station, and end within the private property and barbed wire fence that is adjacent to the station, on the west side of McDonald Avenue.
For more information on the Culver Shuttle, Check out the Culver Shuttle, a website that's dedicated to it.
The currently opened portion of the Ditmas Avenue Station has two side platforms on the local tracks of the three tracked line. The station's platforms are windscreened for their entire length and canopied for their entire lengths except for a small section at their southern ends. The canopy is held up by small-cantilevered beams that are also windscreened. These are all painted green and have little Ditmas Avenue signs on them. For exits, the station has two. The 24-hour booth exit is at the southern end of the station, two staircases (the southern one exposed to the elements beyond the end of the canopy) lead down from each platform to a small station house with turnstiles and the token booth facing them. This in tern leads out to two street stairs off the elevated on the south side of Ditmas Avenue and McDonald Avenue. There is a secondary unstaffed exit at the southern end of the station where a single staircase leads down from each platform to a now unstaffed station house with only high turnstile equipment, a staircase leads down to each side of McDonald Avenue a bit south of Cortelyou Road just beyond a cement factory